This Can't Be Happening
Sites of Interest
William Blum/Killing Hope
The Distant Ocean
Welcome to the Sideshow
Mark Crispin Miller
Crooks and Liars
Black Agenda Report
The Raw Story
Iraq Vets Against the War
Blues and Dreams
Bright Terrible Spirit
“You can't carpet bomb an insurgency out of existence. This is just silly.”
"You would carpet bomb where ISIS is -- not a city, but the location of the troops. You use air power directed -- and you have embedded special forces to direction the air power. But the object isn't to level a city. The object is to kill the ISIS terrorists."
- Created on Sunday, 10 January 2016 22:47
- Written by F. William EngdahlVictory in Paris vs Monsanto GMO Cabalby F. William Engdahl - NEO
There is a very positive news coming out of Paris, a city with more than her share of bad news lately. It’s a major legal victory for the voices of science and reason against the GMO Monsanto-led cabal. Its implications will be felt worldwide.
If our world ever gets the will to rid the 21st Century Black Death plague masquerading under the name of Genetic Manipulation of Organisms or GMO, it will owe a huge debt of gratitude to the courageous work of Prof. Gilles-Eric Séralini and his extraordry team of dedicated scientists at CRIIGEN, the Committee for Independent Research and Information on Genetic Engineering, in France.In a world where industry’s corruption of scientists has almost become ordinary, the existence of a non-industry-funded team of scientists dedicated to producing research and independent information on genetic engineering and its impacts in biology, environment, agriculture, food, medicine, and public health, including the short, medium and long-term effects on human health and on the health of the entire living ecosystem, is, so far as I am aware, unique. Few are aware of their tireless and largely thankless work.
- Created on Sunday, 10 January 2016 22:22
- Written by Andy SinatsKeeping the Peace: Why Is This River So Important to Preserve?by Andy Sinats - Square SpaceThe flooding and destruction of a river valley ecosystem cannot be considered a green solution to meeting energy demand.
The following are just a few of the many concerns about the construction of another dam on the Peace River in British Columbia:
1. The provincial government’s Energy Plan states that “all new electricity generation projects will have zero net greenhouse gas emissions.” The Site C reservoir will not have zero net greenhouse gas emissions. Reservoir creation results in methane production, a potent contributor to climate change.
2. Reservoir creation results in mercury bioaccumulation. To avoid large increases in both greenhouse gas production and methyl mercury accumulation, C.A. Kelly et al. recommend that areas of low relief and wetlands should not be flooded. Neither of these recommendations can be accomplished if the Peace River is flooded at Site C.
3. Building Site C will flood much of the only Class 1 farmland in northern BC, including land within the Agricultural Land Reserve. This is the only land capable of growing many vegetables that would otherwise have to be imported.
4. Further damming the Peace will destroy high-capacity wildlife habitat that cannot be replaced by other habitats in the northeast. The many islands with their back channels that make up this section of the Peace River Valley are vital to wildlife.
5. The Site C dam would destroy a favourite recreational area. If this project were proposed in the Lower Mainland, the public would never stand for the loss of such a high-quality recreational area.6. Much of the area that would be flooded and otherwise affected by the Site C project includes First Nations traditional lands.Add a comment Add a comment Read more: BC's Site C Dam: No Respect for Land, People, Wildlife, Culture - No Respect for Nothin'
- Created on Saturday, 09 January 2016 23:12
- Written by William BlumA US Media Lost in Propagandaby William Blum - Consortium News
January 9, 2016
Vulgar, crude, racist and ultra-sexist though he is, Donald Trump can still see how awful the American mainstream media is.
I think one of the main reasons for Donald Trump’s popularity is that he says what’s on his mind and he means what he says, something rather rare amongst American politicians, or politicians perhaps anywhere in the world.ABC-TV anchor George StephanopoulosThe American public is sick and tired of the phony, hypocritical answers given by office-holders of all kinds.
- Created on Saturday, 09 January 2016 20:19
- Written by WSWSThe assaults in Cologne and the call for a strong stateby Dietmar Henning and Peter Schwarz - WSWS
9 January 2016With the beginning of the new year, the media and the political establishment have returned to propaganda mode. It is impossible to watch or listen to the news or open a newspaper without confronting demands for more police and surveillance, harsher laws, and the deportation of “criminal foreigners.” Chancellor Angela Merkel has placed herself at the head of the campaign with her call for “clear signals to those who are not willing to comply with our legal system.”The occasion for this latest propaganda campaign, which has pushed all other topics into the background, is the New Year's eve incident at Cologne Central Railway Station. Groups of apparently heavily intoxicated men harassed, robbed and sexually assaulted numerous women.Given the massive media attention these events have received, it is noteworthy that eight days later, few concrete details are known.The Cologne police and North Rhine-Westphalian state Interior Ministry are waiting until Monday to comment on them again. But despite the lack of information, it is clear that a calculated campaign is being organised.Add a comment Add a comment Read more: Fanning a New Reichstag Fire Flame: Cologne "Attacks" Used to Amplify Race Hate Campaign
- Created on Saturday, 09 January 2016 20:05
- Written by Dave LindorffThree-two-one blast off! ThisCantBeHappening! Launches Indiegogo Campaign to Raise Funds to Support Investigative Reporting on the Siteby The TCBH! Collective
January 9, 2016
We're off and running with a fund-raiser on Indiegogo  aimed at raising $50,000 to support our site and the hard-hitting reporting we do here to get out the truth that the rest of the media ignore, cover-up, or misreport.We're hoping everyone who reads this site will visit our Indiegogo page  and make a contribution, or whatever amount you can afford, and that you will help our fund-raiser go viral by sending a link to everyone you know.Where else can you read about the real reason the Federal Reserve is raising interest rates  (hint: it's not, as claimed, for fear of rampaging inflation, or to "reassure" investors).Where else could you read that the FBI knew about a well-developed plot, possibly by Houston Police or by private security people hired by Houston's oil and banking industries, to murder Occupy Houston leaders  with "suppressed sniper fire," and that the bureau did nothing to stop it, and never made any arrests?Where else can you learn how Israel's IDF, in commandeering a peace flotilla ship heading for Gaza, murdered a 19-year-old US citizen , and that the Obama White House, instead of protesting, hid from the US public a report by the Turkish Forensics Society. delivered by the Turkish US embassy, detailing how the unarmed youth was murdered  by shots to the head?Add a comment Add a comment Read more: Supporting Alt. Journalism: This Can't Be Happening Can Keep Happening (with your help)
- Created on Friday, 08 January 2016 18:48
- Written by Press ReleaseLooking for support at the Rocky Mountain Fortby Arlene Boon - Peace Valley Landowner Assoc.
Hello supporters; as you probably know, First Nations and landowners are camped at the Rocky Mountain Fort. We have been successful in stopping the logging at the mouth of the Moberly. At this time we are setting up more accommodations.
Ken has been there since December 30th, and needs a break.
We even have people that have come up from Vancouver to go to the camp. There is good momentum and support and we need to keep the pressure on. What we are asking for is more supporters to come in to camp and help save the Peace valley.
We would like to rotate persons in and out on a weekly bases but if you could even help for a few days at a time, every day counts. If you can please also pass this on and help spread the work load and word it would be greatly appreciated.
What is required is people that are able to work well with others, willing to experience a winter adventure, able to get around in the bush, good health, and jack of all trades is an asset. (sounds like a job posting).
Add a comment Add a comment Read more: Answering the Peace's Call: Supporting Rocky Mountain Fort and the Site C Blockade
- Created on Friday, 08 January 2016 18:45
- Written by Greg PalastKhan Job: Bush Spiked Probe of Pakistan's Dr. Strangelove, BBC reported in 2001by Greg Palast
February 9, 2004
On November 7, 2001, BBC Television's Newsnight and the Guardian of London reported that the Bush administration thwarted investigations of Dr. A.Q. Khan, known as the "father" of Pakistan's atomic bomb. This week, Khan confessed to selling atomic secrets to Libya, North Korea, and Iran.The Bush Administration has expressed shock at disclosures that Pakistan, our ally in the war on terror, has been running a nuclear secrets bazaar. In fact, according to the British news teams' sources within US intelligence agencies, shortly after President Bush's inauguration, his National Security Agency (NSA) effectively stymied the probe of Khan Research Laboratories, the Pakistani agency in charge of the bomb project.
CIA and other agents told BBC they could not investigate the spread of 'Islamic Bombs' through Pakistan because funding appeared to originate in Saudi Arabia.
- Created on Friday, 08 January 2016 07:04
- Written by John ChuckmanObama's Tearsby John Chuckman
January 7, 2015“Even those tears, I me mine - I me mine, I me mine” – the Beatles
Had I seen the image of Obama, weeping over American gun deaths, seven years ago, I know I would have been deeply moved. It would have reinforced my view of him then as an empathetic, bright, and progressive politician. And I did then, and do now, find America’s violence – all of it, not just the small fraction of it seen in street killings – an appalling assault on the human spirit.
But the image comes seven years later, following a period of Obama’s proving himself an utterly cold and dry-eyed killer.
Actually, apart from seven years packed with regular killing and support of others doing killing in at least half a dozen lands, he is reliably reported to have once said at a high-level meeting, without tears or the least change in demeanor, “I’m pretty good at killing.”
- Created on Thursday, 07 January 2016 19:47
- Written by Press ReleaseFirst Nations Prepare for Arrest to Stop Site C Dam - Treaty 8 Stewards of the Land call on Trudeau to stop Megadam in B.C.’s Peace Valleyby Treaty 8 Stewards of the LandJanuary 7, 2016
ROCKY MOUNTAIN FORT CAMP - First Nations members camped out at an historic fort site slated for destruction by the Site C dam say they are prepared to face arrest to protect their traditional territory.Joined by local landowners, Treaty 8 Stewards of the Land say they will not permit BC Hydro to proceed with plans to clear-cut forests around the Rocky Mountain Fort site on the west side of the Moberly River.
The site, selected by explorer Alexander Mackenzie, was the first trading post in mainland B.C. and is situated in the traditional territory of Treaty 8 First Nations. The $9 billion Site C dam would flood 107-kilometres of the scenic Peace River and its tributaries, including the traditional hunting and fishing grounds of Treaty 8 First Nations.